"Are You Okay?"

Strangely (or maybe not so strangely because it's so obvious..) I am usually asked that question when I am perfectly fine.

It's when I'm waiting for an elevator. When I'm just sitting in the patient waiting room (but really, is anyone actually "okay" in there?!) When I am scanning the sidewalk for a curb cut. As I am about to cross the street. Or if I am looking for something in a store. "Are you okay?" A head pokes out from around the corner, or someone backtracks in their steps to where I am. There is uncertainty in their voice. Uncertain as to whether or not I am okay, or maybe if they should even be asking? I'm not sure.

No one ever asks "are you okay?" When I am sweating bullets and gripping my arm or leg. No one ever asks if I am okay when I am stuck in an elevator. No one asks if I am okay while crammed into a packed subway car. No one asks if I am okay while standing on top of my wheelchair to reach the bank teller.

I totally get it that this is a question being asked by folks who are offering assistance. By no means would I ever complain about that, that would be shooting myself in the foot! But I would just like to point out quickly, and very briefly that this is typically, and a majority of the time it is asked when I am doing regular everyday things.

Let's get a little ridiculous, even a little snarky right now:

Should I not be okay? Is it not okay that I am waiting for the bus? Or that I am waiting for the elevator? Is it not okay that I can't find the curb cut on a poorly shoveled sidewalk? Is it not okay that I am just looking for something in a store or at the library? Should I respond: "Is it strange to you that I am going about my regular life?" "Are you okay with what I am doing right now?"

Maybe you get what I mean because you have been the recipient of such amusing situations. Maybe you get what I mean because you realize the difference I am pointing out. Whichever line you fall on (and maybe it's both), I'm glad that we connected on another of life's confuzzled moments.

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2011 Perfectly Imperfecta. Powered by Blogger.

Search